Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Building Bridges - Between the Cultures



WOW and WOW!! I officially have a new favourite city.

My trip to Istanbul was great!!

There is so much for me to say that I know I won't fit it all in this one post.

First off Istanbul is the 2010 European Capital of Culture. I find this interesting in two ways because first off, it is definitely an amazing cultural centre. I was there for only four days and I hardly scratched the surface of all the interesting things to do and see.
Secondly, in this context Turkey is referred to in a European capacity. This is definitely a controversial topic as Turkey has been advocating for membership in the European Union for the past five years.

That is one thing that Istanbul definitely has going for it. It bridges the gap between West and East. With ties to both Europe and Asia, Turkey is able to find a balance between different peoples, cultures and lifestyles.

Turkey definitely fits the mold for this year's Rotary theme of "Building Communities, Bridging Continents", quite literally actually. I stayed in the Asian part of the city with my friend Melek who is Turkish. It was really nice to see her again and we both got to practice our Italian which was great. She was completely amazing in showing me around and making sure that my short time in Istanbul was full of amazing things to see and great things to eat.

One of my favourite things to do was just to take the boat across the Bosphorus from the Asian part to the European part. Most of the major tourist sites are in the European part. I was able to see many of the important places such as Topkap Palace, Sultan Ahmed Mosque (more popularly known as Blue Mosque), Hagia Sophia, Basilica Cistern, Galata Tower...

I also did some shopping at the Grand Bazar and the Spice Market. Both impressive in size and action, bargaining is a Turkish way of life. Also Melek and I were invited for tea when we were discussing prices with one group of vendors.

One of the big highlights of the trip was the relaxing Turkish Baths - Hamam. With the combination of humidity, hot water and a special turkish hand towel for getting rid of dry skin, I felt like a baby at the end of the afternoon.

Just walking around the city was also pretty amazing. There is so much life and tourists and locals blend together especially in the area around Taksim Square and also down the busiest street in Istanbul: Istiklal Avenue.

Lastly for the food, I can't even begin to describe all the wonderful things I ate. First off because most of them have turkish names and I can't remember what they are called. Secondly because I ate so much. Melek's mother had some really great meals cooked for us, stuffed pepers, cheese pastries, dolmas... We also had the traditional kebab and many desserts, the best being Turkish baklava :)

I arrived home yesterday morning to my subscription of the Economist with a 14-page special report on Turkey. I feel like it is meant to be, and I know I will find the perspectives as put forward by the journalists rather interesting having just come back from Turkey's biggest city.

Since this week is vacation I am still off school. But that doesn't mean I am not working. I have my papers to finish up and also my Dutch exam Monday night. Not to mention, new courses start Monday with a whole new stack of readings to go along with them.

So now it is back to reality, but after such an amazing trip I am sure to find some inspiration and motivation.

Ciao for now.


From the top of the Galata Tower


Melek and a friend with Baklava


Hagia Sophia Across the Golden Horn


Inside the Blue Mosque


The Spice Bazar

No comments:

Post a Comment